Sources: Hernandez, Red Sox reach extension

by Daryn Albert - Enrique Hernández and the Red Sox agreed on a one-year, $10 million contract extension Monday, sources told ESPN.

Sources: Boston Red Sox reach 1-year, $10 million extension with Enrique Hernandez play Enrique Hernandez hits a solo shot over the Green Monster (0:27) Enrique Hernandez hits a home run to deep left, padding the Red Sox's lead. (0:27) 10:53 PM ET Jeff PassanESPN Close ESPN MLB insider Author of "The Arm: Inside the Billion-Dollar Mystery of the Most Valuable Commodity in Sports" Center fielder Enrique Hernández and the Boston Red Sox agreed on a one-year, $10 million contract extension Monday, keeping the 31-year-old in the city where he starred in the 2021 postseason, sources told ESPN. A hip-flexor injury sidelined Hernández for more than two months this season and contributed to his struggles on the field after his career year in 2021. Hernández is batting .219 with a .637 OPS and has only six home runs in more than 300 plate appearances in the final season of a two-year, $14 million contract. Hernández was due to hit free agency this winter and was coming off a season in which he hit .250/.337/.449, played elite defense in center field and compiled 4.9 Baseball-Reference Wins Above Replacement (and 4.1 from FanGraphs). Editor's Picks 2 Related In the Red Sox's run to the cusp of the World Series last year, Hernández was the team's best player. In the AL Division Series against Tampa Bay , he batted .450 and slugged .900 with two home runs. He nearly equaled those numbers in the AL Championship Series, hitting .385/.407/.846 with three solo homers. Originally projected to be a superutility player, Hernández emerged as a defensive stalwart in center field for Boston, though that hasn't stopped the Red Sox from also using him at shortstop and second base this season. The right-handed-hitting Hernandez also played first and third base and both corner-outfield spots in Los Angeles, where he spent six seasons with the Dodgers . Hernández, who was drafted in the sixth round by Houston in 2009 out of his native Puerto Rico, was set to be one of a slew of free agents for the Red Sox, who are expected to have one of the busiest offseasons in baseball. Currently in last place in the AL East at 67-69, Boston faces a winter in which star shortstop Xander Bogaerts is expected to opt out of his contract and starters Nathan Eovaldi, Michael Wacha and Rich Hill , plus reliever Matt Strahm , will be free agents. The Red Sox will have less than $60 million committed to their 2023 payroll if Bogaerts opts out. They also could look to extend 25-year-old All-Star third baseman Rafael Devers , who is set to hit free agency following the 2023 season.